Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Monday, October 19, 2009

The Power of an Authentic Request (Please read this... It will mean a lot to me)

Bookmark and Share
Hey there everyone!!

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Now, why do you think this means a lot to me? Take a moment and think about it. What got you to start reading this? If you don't read "every" post, what got you to start reading this time? Was it simply because I asked you to?

Consider how powerful a tool "asking" can be. We can get what we want sometimes simply by making a request. Let people know that what you're asking for is important to you, and they will want to contribute in some way. It sounds simple, yet some of us are afraid to ask others for any kind of help. We may try to do everything on our own.

I was like this. I wanted to be independent. I couldn't stand being blind and being at a visual disadvantage. So I did everything in my power to compensate for my disadvantages. I studied harder and I anticipated my challenges. For example, when I was thirteen, I traveled to every subway station in Toronto, so that I would become familiar with the environments. This meant that when I would later go for job interviews, I could save time by recognizing certain landmarks, rather than getting lost or asking someone for directions.

Wanting to be independent served me. It gave me confidence and valuable experience. However, when I would get lost and be late for an interview, for example, I wouldn't ask anyone for help. I would persist with my own abilities. I didn't want to look bad to others. It wasn't until later in life that I found the humility to simply ask for help.

There is power in an authentic request. Most people genuinely want to make a difference. For me, I didn't want to ask strangers for help. For you, it may be a friend or a family member, a co-worker or a significant other that you're hesitant to approach. What have you been afraid of asking? Are you afraid of getting turned down? Are you afraid of being vulnerable? Marianne Williamson says, "Where love is present, fear cannot exist."

We have so many resources at our disposal. Take the telephone for example... Somebody at a recent seminar was saying they had a great new product for an office furniture chain, but wasn't sure how to get their idea heard. What's the solution? Pick up the telephone, call the head office, and ask them for their policy and procedure on new product acquisitions. Ask. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Now, what are you asking yourself on a daily basis? What questions come up in your mental chatter? Are they questions like, why am I so unlucky? Why does this always happen to me? Or, are they questions like, how can I turn this around? What's funny about this situation? Your brain will come up with an answer for ANY question, so it's very important to make sure you're asking empowering questions like "How can I turn this around and make a difference?"

As a good book from a long time ago says, ask and it shall be given unto you; seek and ye shall find; knock and the door shall be opened unto you. Profound words. And, in more ways than one. To recap, feel free to make authentic requests from other people in your life. If you find yourself stuck and not knowing, think who else you can ask. And, consider that the questions we ask ourselves on a habitual basis get answered by creating the reality that we live.

Thanks again for reading this. I get joy and satisfaction from knowing that my words have a positive impact on you. Whether you get a simple burst of motivation while you're reading this, or you take actions that you wouldn't otherwise have taken, I feel a sense of purpose and mission. I hope this message has made a difference for you.

Let's love the world together...

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

P.S. Are you ready to uncover The 3 C's of Asking?

8 comments:

  1. Dear Danish,

    I just wanted to sincerely thank you for always inspiring me and others. Before I met you, I always felt too much pride to ask others for help, I've always loved helping others when they have asked me for help, I've come to realization that asking for help gives others an opportunity to experience what it is like to give.

    Love,

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your example. Most of my life, like you, I tried harder than most to be independent and successful, but it wasn't so much fear as pride (proving that I could do it for myself) - of course maybe that is fear that others will think you didn't do it on your own. At any rate, I loved your video. How we make people feel is so important. Thank you for making me feel inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this article. Very authentic and beautifully written.

    Love Straw Berry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asking is so hard to do.....

    I too have historically had to much pride to ask for help. This makes me wonder...where do we get the idea that it is weak to ask for help? From our upbringing, methinks. When very few of our relatives ask for help, we assume that it's a sign of weakness, don't we? Having said that, isn't it interesting that many thought leaders state that just the opposite is true:
    It shows great strength to request help. Why? Because it requires us to put our ego aside and admit we're not perfect. This makes us feel vulnerable. And who wants that?

    What I find interesting is that I ask for something with the calm intention of a positive outcome, that result is usually manifested. So "believe, and you will receive." - my quote!

    So be strong, and ask for what you want. And keep in mind that when someone helps you achieve your goal, that person also gains a sense of greater well-being. So asking for help is acutally doing someone a favour....

    Ask away..!

    By Elizabeth Greig
    http://givewhileyoureceive.com/IGiveBig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this nice article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danish,

    I love your article`s. You are amazing, so strong and lovely...)Thank you for sharing.

    I will also say thank YOU, for all the "beautifylly" mail you have sent me for years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Danish
    This is the first video I watched and I think you are amazing! Congratulations on your example!And for sharing it with us and for trying to help.Thank you!
    A friend form Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your light with the world. We are blessed to have you to light our way.
    Paris

    ReplyDelete